Whitley Abbey Hotel, Abbey Road, Whitley
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1952||1986||WHITLEY ABBEY HOTEL|
Whitley Mill is on a section of river that runs through a change in bedrock and forms a rather lovely section overshaddowed by the inappropriately designed and sited Raquets Centre at Whitley. The bridge once carried the main route into Coventry - before? Thomas Telford built the current London Road, it formed part of the main London to Holyhead coaching route. The mill which stood next to the bridge had been unused since the 1880s, but remained occupied until it was demolished in the 1950s.
Until the turn of the 19th century, Whitley had its own identity based around a manor house which was built in the 14th century. Initially known as Whitley Hall, in 1808, after various alterations, it was renamed Whitley Abbey. However, contrary to popular belief this house was never a monastic institution. The entire estate was sold in 1924, and the house fell into disrepair.
The Whitley Abbey pub itself opened as a public house in 1952 after the license was transferred from the Walsall Arms in Cox Street. By 1982 it was an Ansells Cavalier Steak bar, described as an "Imposing building set back off the road but rather tatty close up". Chris Arnott thought it had "an air of faded grandeur about it... surrounded by an impressive array of trees and waist-high cow parsley".
On 13th June 1986 it was ironically renamed the MYSTERIOUS MONK. From c1994 it was CHURCHILL'S. By 1996 it had closed and been replaced by housing.|
LICENSEES:1952 James Simpson
1983 Bob Rose
1985 Mrs. A. Nugent
Website by Rob Orland © 2022