Lord Nelson, 56 Smithford Street
These premises have been known by different names during their history: | FROM | TO | NAME |
c1800 | 1924 | Lord Nelson | |
1879 | 1890 | Godiva Vaults | |
1879 | 1890 | Lady Godiva | |
1910 | 1928 | Empire Vaults | |
![]() Horatio Nelson (1785 - 1805), 1st Viscount Nelson was probably England's greatest hero. There are more pubs named for him than any other person. He was born at Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk, and died on board HMS Victory at Trafalgar in 1805. His naval career began in 1770, and by the age of twenty one he was a post-captain. He came to notice in the 1790s in the war with France. His destruction of the French fleet at Aboukir (1798) ended Napoleon's plan of conquest in the East. In 1801 he defeated the Danes at Copenhagen, but his greatest victory was at Trafalgar, where he destroyed the combined French and Spanish fleets. | |||
LICENSEES:1822 - 1823 J. Stowe 1828 - 1832 William Johnson 1832 - 1833 Emma Payne 1834 - 1844 Samuel Pearson (died in December 1844) 1844 - 1847 Elizabeth Pearson (Samuel's wife) 1847 - 1856 John Lydiatt (moved to the William IV, Spon Street) 1856 - 1857 Thomas Bottrill (moved to the White Lion) 1857 - 1861 William Kirkpatrick 1868 Joseph Barker 1868 - 1872 Abraham Jennings (lost license Oct. 1872 after convicted of allowing prostitutes to remain in the premises) 1874 - 1877 William Holt (committed suicide June 1877) 1877 - 1878 Mary Ann Holt (moved to the Watchmakers Arms) 1878 - 1880 Charles Alexander 1880 - 1884 George Frederick Lazenby 1886 - 1888 George Smail 1888 - 1890 William Taylor 1890-1892 Joseph Baker 1892 - 1893 John Padgett 1893 Thomas Henry Birch 1893 - 1894 George Rush 1894 - 1896 Harry Bowkett 1896 William John Jarrard 1896 - 1902 William 'Smiler' Raven 1902 - 1904 Charles Harry Parkes (declared bankrupt in March 1904) 1904 Herbert Henry Archer 1904 - 1905 Thomas George Porter 1906 Herbert Henry Archer 1906 - 1908 James Betts 1908 - 1909 Thomas Stone 1909 - 1912 Thomas Phipps 1912 - 1916 Alfred Hurst 1916 - 1919 Joseph Cross 1919 - 1922 Alfred Hurst 1922 - 1923 John Leeson 1923 - 1928 Walter Ernest Morley 1928 - 1929 Mark William Blackford | |||
OWNERS:1892 - 1913 J. Laxon, 2 Bath Terrace, Holyhead Road, Coventry 1913 - 1927 Phillips and Marriotts | |||
![]() Street plan of 1851 | |||
Previous page: Lord Leigh | This page: Lord Nelson | Next page: Lord Rodney |