Board, 35 Smithford Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1835||1865||WINE AND SPIRITS VAULTS|
|1883||1886||OLD BATHS WINE AND SPIRIT VAULTS|
|1886||1951||OLD BATHS HOTEL|
Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board', that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person selling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.
Situated at 35 Smithford Street, the Old Baths Hotel, which is known to have existed at least 75 years before this picture was taken, finally closed when Smithford Street was redeveloped. Mr. H. Hewitt is seen here proudly standing in front of his premises; the sign above advertising his noted home brewed ales, at 3d, 4d, 5d & 6d per quart. These premises were used by carriers conveying passengers to and from Allesley and Meriden. Good stabling was also offered, the entrance to the yard at the rear of the premises being seen to the left.
Established in 1829 as the BATH HOTEL, from 1835 the premises becomes more associated with Wine and Spirit Merchants. In an 1866 directory No 35 Smithford Street is occupied by John Dell, dealer in Wines and Spirits. From 1865 to 1883 it is called the BOARD, and in 1880 to 1882 it is occupied by Charles Reynolds Mattocks, a Wholesale Wine & Spirit Merchant. In 1883 it is the OLD BATHS WINE AND SPIRIT VAULTS before becoming simply the OLD BATHS HOTEL from c1886.
In 1911 the licensee, Henry Hewitt, went into partnership with Frederick Kerby to manufacture motorcycles. The Roulette Cycle Company had premises at 84 Gosford Street and motorcycle manufacture ended with the Great War in 1914 when the company concentrated on bicycles until closing in 1919. In 1931 and 1932 the hotel advertised 'prime ales; choice wines and spirits'. It closed on 31st May 1951 to make way for the Precinct. The license was transferred to the Silver Sword.|
LICENSEES:1865 George Addison 1867 Henry Bailey Maltster, Wine & Spirit Merchant 1867 - 1868 Joseph & Henry Suffolk Wine & spirit merchants 1871 Henry Suffolk 1880 - 1882 Charles Mattocks 1882 Thomas Ball
Street plan of 1851